Date:      Thu, 12 Jan 2006 18:55:43 +0300
From:      Gleb Smirnoff <glebius@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
Cc:        current <current@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Fast releases demand binary updates.. (Was: Release schedule for	2006 )

  Eric,

On Thu, Jan 12, 2006 at 07:13:46AM -0600, Eric Anderson wrote:
E> That's true, if you can find a committer willing to help - and I think
E> that's the issue.  I've tried numerous times to contact committers of
E> certain areas, asking quick questions, or things like 'if I build this,
E> would it be comittable?' - with about 80% of the time receiving no
E> response.  Now, I'm not complaining, or claiming they should reply -
E> they are volunteers and already busy doing their regular life stuff in
E> addition to the FreeBSD code they contribute.  I'm just mentioning it as
E> a data point, that it is pretty hard to find a committer willing to
E> mentor someone, or at a minimum, give them pointers.  The -hackers list
E> is excellent as far as answering most technical questions (rapidly!),
E> but in the end, it is pretty difficult to find a committer to listen to
E> you, unless you already have patches ready to roll, since that takes
E> less time of course.

First you should to check whether given person is active now in CVS and/or
mailing lists. If he is not, then you have a lesser chance to get answer.

If he is active, then don't hesitate to ask for help. And don't be afraid
to send a reminded, if discussion freezes.

And don't forget that email goblins can eat your email. This is quite often
a reason for "ignoring", at least for myself.

--
Totus tuus, Glebius.
GLEBIUS-RIPN GLEB-RIPE