Date:      Wed, 13 Nov 1996 01:21:01 -0600
From:      Barry Boes <bab@foxtrot.boesusa.com>
To:        hardware@freebsd.org, questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        bab@foxtrot.boesusa.com
Subject:   SMC 9332

Hello,
  I'm trying to get a bunch of SMC 9332 cards to work in 10Mb
mode.  I'm having <0 luck.  Here are all the dead-ends I've
gone down.
  I started with a 2.1.5 kernel, which found the card but treated it
as the experimental 21140.  The card turned on at 10Mb but during the
device probe switched to 100Mb.  Switching link2 made the kernel say
it was switching rates, but to no effect.
  So I installed a -stable kernel.  Same gig.

  Then I pulled the -current if_de.c and dc21040.h.  I
compiled them into the -stable kernel by changing a few
things like ether_ioctl to work the old way.  Still no
change.  Card goes into 100Mb mode and won't come out.
  So then I tried disabling the code in 9332_media_select
and probe so that the interface rate would never get changed.
That makes the card stay in 10Mb mode (my hub understands that
it's there).  But, I can't see any packets going out the interface
or coming into the interface.

  I read the hardware documentation and was under the impression
that these cards were supported.  Am I just completely missing
the point somewhere?  Does it work and I'm doing something wrong
or do they not work?

  If they don't work, is there any reasonably easy way for me
to get my hands on the relevant databooks so I can make it work?

						Thanks,
						Barry Boes