Date:      Sun, 6 Oct 1996 15:44:22 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD-current users)
Subject:   Re: secure level diffs to kern_mib.c, LINT

As Michael Hancock wrote:

> FreeBSD defaults securelevel to -1, use the following diffs if you prefer
> normal bsd operations or want a choice.  Man init(8) for details.

> + #ifdef SECURE_MODE
> + int securelevel;
> + #else
>   int securelevel = -1;
> + #endif

The question is not to make this simple modification to the sources.
However, it has been argued that all the other 4.4BSD descendants use
option `INSECURE' for this, so even though the name is somewhat
misleading, we should perhaps better pick up this one instead.

We still need a backdoor for the X server in order to be able to
default to `secure' mode, at least for workstations.

--
cheers, J"org