Date:      Thu, 5 Nov 1998 21:16:34 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux "best of breed?"

At 2:24 PM -0700 11/5/98, Brett Glass wrote:
> ESR is circulating another memo that's supposedly been leaked
> from Microsoft. This one calls Linux a "best of breed" UNIX
> implementation; see
>
> http://www.news.com/News/Item/0,4,28397,00.html

Microsoft thinks Windows is a "best of breed" operating system.
Clearly they measure "best of breed" by counting the number of
machines it is running on.  Based on that criteria, it's quite
believable that Microsoft might think linux is "best of breed".

> Ahem! It's beginning to sound as if these Linux memos, leaked
> by Linux zealots, are a little too self-serving to be real.
>
> Maybe a word or two from the FreeBSD PR machine might be useful
> here.  Oh, I forgot: FreeBSD doesn't DO PR.

I'm hearing more about freebsd and openbsd than I used to.  It
seems to me that things are improving.

But even ignoring that, what *exactly* do you think the FreeBSD
project should do for this specific instance?  Send email to
news.com saying "Oh yeah?  We're best of breed, not Linux!".
news.com is just reporting this story, and it is a valid story
for them to report.  We don't need to go running around after
every story about Linux and say "HEY, WE EXIST TOO, OVER HERE,
OVER HERE, PAY ATTENTION TO ME!!!!".  We need to write our own
stories, and make our own case for our own project.

Seems to me that several people have been encouraging FreeBSD
users to do just that.  Write our own stories, talking about
our own goals.  Running after every Linux story just makes us
look like we don't have anything of our own to say, other than
we want to get in on Linux's fame.  I think that's the wrong
kind of PR to have.

I think Jordan had it right in the message that started off
the "On advocating FreeBSD and the Halloween memo..." thread.
Just my opinion, of course.

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn           =   gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute