Date:      Tue, 23 May 2000 06:59:38 +0000
From:      Tony Griffiths <tonyg@OntheNet.com.au>
To:        Duane Eddingfield <deddingf@home.com>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Alpha version and Xwindows...

Duane Eddingfield wrote:

> Hi:
>
>     I have an AlphaStation 255 with a 'Number Nine' video card (S3 Trio
> 64 - 2 MB). I am running
> Tru64 UNIX which is quite fine except that I work in a place that uses
> Solaris and Linux. I am
> thinking that this would be a killer FreeBSD box for 4.0.

I'm running X on my Alphastation 200 4/100 (Yes, that's a 100MHz Alpha!)
and it is doing fine.  The S3 card with 4MB is running file although I did
need
to copy the config file from an x86 system with the same card 'cause I
couldn't
get XF86Configure to generate one that the server would accept (no mode
line ...)

>     What I am wondering is basically does XFree86 run on the Alphstation
> and can I have all
> the glitzy stuff like on the Intel versions. XFree86 3.3.6 would do just
> fine but can I have KDE
> or FVWM and stuff like that.

I'm using fvwm2 with multiple desktops, etc.  Also installed the OSF
compatibility
stuff (osf1_enable="YES" in rc.conf and install the emulators/osf1_base
product)
so I could run the OSF version of Netscape/Communicator.  Apart from a
minor date
hitch (it sends email with a GMT offset of 0000 even though my machine is
setup
correctly with GMT offset +1000), it's working quite ok.

The only remaining problem is that some of the packaged apps
(gv/ghostview/...)
generate millions of unaligned-access traps.  I've currently got the Tru64
Unix
Freeware CDROM loaded (sources rather than binaries 'cause I'm missing some

X11 ECOFF libs [libXaw.so] that the binaries want).  Hopefully I can
rebuilt the X
apps that I want from the modified sources and generate a 'native' ELF
binary without
the alignment faults!

Tony

postmaster@OntheNet.com.au