Date:      Sat, 27 Jul 2002 12:51:40 +0200
From:      David =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sieb=F6rger?= <drs@rucus.ru.ac.za>
To:        C0llisi0n <epsilon@ircd2.lomag.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: adduser/useradd via the command line

On Sat 2002-07-27 (02:26), C0llisi0n wrote:
>    Here is the problem, I'd like to use adduser (or pw useradd) to add a
> user and (fun part) their password via the command line and not interactive mode. This
> is needed for a php script (which calls system()).

pw's -h option is what you're looking for.  It allows you to specify
a file descriptor from which the new user's password will be read.
For example,

    # echo foo | pw useradd test -h 0

will create a user called 'test' with password 'foo'.  Though that
isn't very secure: while echo is running, a 'ps -a' will show the
password.  It would be better to create a (non-world-readable)
temporary file and pipe that in on a different descriptor:

    # pw useradd test -h 5 5< passwordfile

I'd suggest you read the description of -h in pw(8).

--
David Siebörger
drs@rucus.ru.ac.za