Date:      Wed, 12 Dec 2012 18:32:25 +0100
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>
To:        Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@tristatelogic.com>
Subject:   Re: Help! Firefox + acroread costs me $$$$

Hi,
Reference:

Warren Block wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Dec 2012, Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:
>
> > So, on FreeBSD, how does one get firefox and/or opera to use, for example,
> > evince or some other PDF displayer instead of using this goddamn lousey
> > buggy *&^%$#@ acroread ?
>
> Remove acroread entirely.  Install graphics/xpdf.  Click on a PDF link,
> tell Firefox to use xpdf and do that for all files of this type.

Be aware xpdf will not do quite all PDF files that (horribly slow)
acroread can (ie new PDFs with data entry forms & xml).
I use xpdf all I can for normal reading of PDF tech specs etc,
& use acroread just for filling in UK corporation tax return PDFs,
though freebsd has other solutions that may work for those pdf/xml too.

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, BSD Unix Linux C Sys Eng Consultant, Munich http://berklix.com
 Reply below not above, like a play script.  Indent old text with "> ".