Date:      Tue, 08 Oct 1996 05:15:13 -0700
From:      Geert-Jan Plattel <walter@IAEhv.nl>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   hard resident memory limit?

Hi guys,

We've got this freebox with 128 MB. It is recognized and everything. We
use this memory to grab about 115 Megabytes of videodata, using the
appropriate MatroxMeteor driver. That's all ok.

I got rid off the limits like memoryuse. Nevertheless the system always
ends up swapping the pages I need so badly. Quick grabbing is made
impossible by this.

Is there some hard limit? I don't know how to alter those. I couldn't
find it in the documentation.

I can only mlock as root? Is this normal? Can and should I change this?

As root I can only mlock about 14 MB. Then some 'magic' limit of 40MB is
reached. Why? Where can I change this limit?

To provide a 'live'display of video, I have the XSHM running. And the
grabber driver needs mmapped pages to drop the frames. I tried to mmap
the shared memory from the XImage to the video grab board. This way I
can XPutIMage the framedata directly without doing an extra bcopy? But
this never works. Is there some permission problem?

Thanks in advance.

Geert-Jan Plattel