Date:      Wed, 27 May 2009 22:16:34 +0530
From:      Manish Jain <invalid.pointer@gmail.com>
To:        Robert Noland <rnoland@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Support for nVidia GeForce 7025/7050PV/nForce 630a graphics

Robert Noland wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-05-27 at 18:09 +0530, Manish Jain wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am thinking of going in for an AMD solution for my new home PC.
>>
>> Does FreeBSD work easily with Asus M2N68-AM (nvidia GeForce 7025/nForce
>> 630a graphics as per Asus; nvidia GeForce 7050PV/nForce 630a graphics as
>> per CNET/other sites). I would probably be using this along with Athlon
>> Dual-Core 5200+
>>
>> FreeBSD-7.1's drm directory in src does NOT seem to have a listing for
>> GeForce 7025/GeForce 7050/nForce 630a. And xorgconfigurator just lists
>> one (generic) driver nv for nvidia. So would DRI work ?
>
> There are three possible drivers, nv (kindof old and crusty), nouveau
> (in current ports), and the binary blob from Nvidia (currently i386
> only).  For nv, there is no drm.  For nouveau, I have patches for drm
> support that I may go ahead and commit to -CURRENT over the next couple
> of days.  The current patch also applies to -STABLE.  With the patch you
> should get accelerated EXA and Xv, but not 3d yet.  I have gotten the 3d
> driver to sort of work, but generally it isn't in a user ready state (on
> linux either).
>
> The binary blob does whatever it does and I'll let others give you
> details on that.
>
> robert.
>
>> I ask this because I currently have an i810-based motherboard for which
>> there is no DRI support in FreeBSD and I need to make sure I don't end
>> up without DRI again.

Hello Roland,

Thanks for your reply. One final question.

> With the patch you should get accelerated EXA and Xv, but not 3d yet.

I am only interested in playing DVD's, not games. Are EXA and Xv
sufficient for that ? If 3d is required too, then I have to dump this
idea altogether and try something else.

--
Regards
Manish Jain

Laast year I kudn't spell Software Engineer. Now I are won.