Date:      Fri, 14 Sep 2001 12:13:58 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Odd card removal events on stable

Warner,

> Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 12:36:26 -0600
> From: Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
>
> In message <200109141808.f8EI8jR20036@ptavv.es.net> "Kevin Oberman" writes:
> : /kernel: wi0: timeout in wi_seek to fc80/0; last status ffff
> : /kernel: wi0: timeout in wi_seek to fc80/0; last status ffff
>
> These happen.  The wi driver tries to access its hardware in its
> detach routine when in fact the hardware is no longer actually there.

Yes, if the hardware was not available. But it was. The event was
totally spontaneous. I had not touched the card. It should not have
been calling the detach routine. (It just happened again as I was
typing this! Card was "removed", net went away, I pulled and inserted
the card and all was back to normal.)

> : dhclient: receive_packet failed on wi0: Device not configured
>
> This is a bug in dhclient.

Yes, but I simply see it as dhclient telling my that the interface is
gone (over and over). I realize it has no further significance.

> : I know that this is rather old, but I've been unable to upgrade since
> : then due to unexpected medical problems and, until I can make a backup
> : of my running system, I'm unwilling to risk breaking it as my laptop
> : is my only link to the net for another week or two.
>
> Try the upgrade.  It should be good.  However, you can test before
> jumping in by building just a new kernel, copying it to, say,
> /tmp/kernel and booting it to see if that works better/worse for you.

Yes, I realize this, but I'm a bit paranoid at the moment. I almost
lost my gnome environment yesterday when an upgrade to png blew
up in my face. And a red dotted line from my collar bone to just
above my navel doesn't help, either. (Watch your cholesterol levels!)

I may give it a shot later today, though.

Thanks,

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)