Date:      Wed, 13 Jun 2001 16:52:07 -0700
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>, Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>, Jamie Norwood <mistwolf@mushhaven.net>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IPFW almost works now.

In message <200106122356.f5CNubp50204@earth.backplane.com>, Matt Dillon
writes:

> :> Balderdash!  HTTP and TCP both send files over identical TCP
> :> connections, which makes them equally efficient.
> :
> :>From a raw protocol stack, yes.  However, most FTP servers are optimized
> :for streaming out large bits of static data, while HTTP servers are less
> :optimized for this.
> :
> :FTP servers can be more easily optimized (KISS et al), and hence FTP is
> :a better protocol for simple file transfers.
> :
> :Nate
>
>     If you have to have a web server, and would only also have a ftp
>     server to 'optimize' transfers, I would submit that whatever
>     performance one perceives as having gained from running the ftp
>     server (which I think is Balderdash as well) is offset by the fact
>     that you are now running two pieces of server software that might
>     potentially create a security hazzard rather then one.
>
>     Since I can't do without my web server, ftpd is the one I turn off.

That's exactly what I do.  Additionally if I need to use non-anonymous
FTP, I use sftp, scp, or if behind a firewall one of the Kerberos
services.

>     Historically, a plain old Apache with no fancy modules turned on
>     is just as secure... in fact, even more secure... then ftpd.  Maybe
>     because web servers focus on read-only stuff whereas ftpd tries to
>     be general purpose read/write/exec/chmod/only-god-knows-what-else.

Not only that but HTTP is firewall friendly.  FTP requires proxies.  IP
Filter provides a good client-side FTP proxy however a server-side FTP
proxy is unknown in the opensource community.  Given the exploits of
various FTP daemons, of which FreeBSD has been fortunate to have such a
secure ftpd, and exploits of the FTP protocol itself, e.g bounce, the
wisdom of running an FTP server behind a firewall is unadvised.

I agree that we're better off using HTTP.  I'll be glad the day the FTP
protocol has been finally put to rest.

> 						-Matt

Regards,                         Phone:  (250)387-8437
Cy Schubert                        Fax:  (250)387-5766
Team Leader, Sun/Alpha Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
Open Systems Group, ITSD, ISTA
Province of BC