Date:      Sat, 25 Apr 1998 10:29:01 -0700
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <cschuber@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
Cc:        peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au (Peter Jeremy), freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Static vs. dynamic linking

> How many of our problems can be fixed in the library(s) alone,
> anyway?

Let me rephrase the question and answer that question:  Can problems be
fixed using shared libraries alone?

I use a commercial X product.  I've found some bugs (mainly zombies)
that the vendor doesn't want to fix via patches to this release.  Since
the product was released using shared binaries, I replaced some system
calls that they call by using LD_PRELOAD and LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  If the
product had been shipped using static binaries or if the O/S (in this
case FreeBSD) did not support shared libraries, I'd be stuck (or the
job of creating a fix would have been much more difficult).  So in this
case the answer is yes.

The current arrangement as we have it, some binaries linked dynamic and
others linked static, is a fairly good arrangement.  Can this
arrangement be adjusted or improved?  Yes.  The two extremes however:
To totally switch to shared libraries (would cause a performance hit)
or to no longer support shared libraries (not mentioned in this
discussion yet but I'm sure some are thinking about this) [both] appear
silly and I'm sure a good compromise (adjustments and tuning) can be
found.

Open Systems Group          Internet:  cschuber@uumail.gov.bc.ca
ITSD                                   Cy.Schubert@gems8.gov.bc.ca
Government of BC