Date:      Sat, 29 Dec 2018 10:54:24 -0600
From:      "Bill Crowell, N4HPG" <n4hpg@comcast.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   How to configure IPV6 on FreeBSD 12

I found my system at various stages of updates within the 11 release =
series and tidied it up to v12 as it became an official release.

I use FreeBSD on a Zotac mini PC as a firewall, router, caching DNS =
server and for other things.

It has 2 nics - one public and the other on my LAN. It does NAT for IPv4 =
and I=E2=80=99m using the PF firewall with great results.

What I am NOT able to make work is IPV6. My ISP is Comcast and they =
support full IPv6 over DHCP and this worked on BSD 8 and 9 using the =
instructions here:

https://blog.crashed.org/setting-up-freebsd-with-comcast-ipv6/ =
<https://blog.crashed.org/setting-up-freebsd-with-comcast-ipv6/>;

I need to get the IPv6 address from Comcast on device re1 with the first =
64 bits and then provide the route for the LAN clients and the address =
space with bits 65+.

What is particularly MADDENING about the FreeBSD documentation pages is =
that they do not indicate which VERSION is being discussed. Therefore, I =
do not know which may apply to my version.

***

I have tried this method:
=
https://subatomicsolutions.org/8-freebsd/13-ipv4-and-ipv6-address-via-dhcp=
-on-a-dual-stack-network =
<https://subatomicsolutions.org/8-freebsd/13-ipv4-and-ipv6-address-via-dhc=
p-on-a-dual-stack-network>

It does not work because dhclient -6 is broken

***

This appears to be a dead-end as well:
=
https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/how-to-properly-set-up-an-ipv6-gateway.=
39431/ =
<https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/how-to-properly-set-up-an-ipv6-gateway=
.39431/>

***

I have tried this, but it does not update my interfaces:

=
https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Internet-Archive/WORKS-FreeBSD-Router-with-c=
omcast-IPV6-and-default-gateway/td-p/3041558 =
<https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Internet-Archive/WORKS-FreeBSD-Router-with-=
comcast-IPV6-and-default-gateway/td-p/3041558>

***

Using rtsol:

rtadvd:

***

So, what should I be using?
dhcp6c - appears broken
dual-dhclient - appears broken
rtadvd - not well documented

***

FTR, I=E2=80=99ve been doing Unix of some sort or another since 1990. =
SCO, AIX, Linux, OS X, etc. FreeBSD was supposed to be my island of =
stability given the fork problem in Linux. That I=E2=80=99ve spent 20 =
hours with Google trying to find out how to set up an interface is =
maddening.

Bill Crowell
N4HPG
Pearland, TX
n4hpg@comcast.net <mailto:n4hpg@comcast.net>
There are 10 kinds of people: those who know binary and those who don't