Date:      26 Sep 1999 16:14:54 -0400
From:      Rajappa Iyer <rsi@panix.com>
To:        Tony Finch <dot@dotat.at>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A new package fetching utility, pkg_get

Tony Finch <dot@dotat.at> writes:

> Rajappa Iyer <rsi@panix.com> wrote:

> >1. It does a terrible job at tracking dependencies, IMHO.  If you
> >   install packages A, B and C at the same time and A depends on C,
> >   it's not smart enough to install C first.  pkg_order | tsort should
> >   do the job, one would presume.
> >
> >2. It does an even more terrible job at fetching dependencies.  Try
> >   installing a complex set of programs and files (e.g. gnome) and see
> >   how many individual components you have to fetch.  Contrast with
> >   "cd /usr/ports/x11/gnome; make install".
>
> Both of those are handled by the apt-get program, and were in the past
> handled by dselect (but dselect is horrid for a whole load of other
> reasons).

apt-get does a better job at collections, true, but in my experience
still does not do a proper package ordering before installation.  And
if component packages have inconsistent dependencies, apt-get puts
your system in a state that is hard to recover from.  I've had both of
these things happen to me while installing gnome.  Now one can argue
that this reflects a problem with the individual package rather than
the infrastructure, but I feel that if a package manager deals with a
bundle in a manner similar to a package, it should deal with
consistency issues of the component packages.

Don't get me wrong.  I think that the problem that Debian package
manager is trying to solve is not an easy one to solve in a completely
bulletproof manner and I don't have a solution to offer offhand,
either.  apt-get is undoubtedly an improvement on dselect, but I think
it builds on a fundamentally shaky infrastructure, IMHO.  My gut
feeling is that one would be better off building a super-duper package
management system on top of the ports mechanism and extending the
existing pkg_* tools.

Regards,
Rajappa
--
<rsi@panix.com> a.k.a. Rajappa Iyer.		New York, New York.
	We're too busy mopping the floor to turn off the faucet.