Date:      Mon, 4 Jun 2012 23:41:05 +0300
From:      Ion-Mihai Tetcu <itetcu@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Juergen Lock <nox@jelal.kn-bremen.de>
Cc:        guru@unixarea.de, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: net-im/skype-devel

On Mon, 4 Jun 2012 19:50:52 +0200 (CEST)
Juergen Lock <nox@jelal.kn-bremen.de> wrote:

> In article <20120604120054.GA1849@tiny> you write:
> >Hi,
> Hi!
> >
> >I run 10-CURRENT r235646 and CVS updated ports (both from May, 19);
> >
> >skype-2.1.0.81,1 is working fine, uncluding viedo: the port
> >net-im/skype-devel still says, that video is broken;
> >
> >is there some pre-view to test or to help debugging?
>
> I'm not itetcu but...
>
>  Skype is closed source so it's not easy to find out why video
> doesn't work with the version in net-im/skype-devel, but IIRC
> linux_kdump showed it's trying to use the Linux inotify syscall
> which is still missing in the Linuxolator.  Is this the cause video
> doesn't work?

Last time I tested, yes, that was one of the problems.
Current beta from skype is at .99, you could give it a try, but I don't
expect anything better. And upcoming 3 is even worse.

> Only those with the source know...

Well, yeh. Trouble is linux version has the lowest priority (and the
user base is constant, unlike the user base for the other versions);
and while the skype devs are really nice people, there's a high level
of "institutional legal paranoia" which doesn't help at all. So ...

FreeBSD committer -> itetcu@FreeBSD.org, PGP Key ID 057E9F8B493A297B