Date:      Thu, 2 Dec 2004 10:35:59 -0800
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Ivan Voras <ivoras@fer.hr>
Cc:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: More geom classes?

Ivan Voras wrote this message on Thu, Dec 02, 2004 at 17:16 +0100:
> I think I misunderstood something. Do you propose this (for 2 disks):
>
> for each block to be written:
> a) generate a block of random data
> b) write random data to first disk
> c) write random data xor user data to second disk
>
> So, as long as any person has both disks, the data can be recovered.
> Where's the security in that?

No, the point is to take say, a CDROM which you have preloaded with pure
random data, i.e. burncd /dev/random, then you create a proper sized
partition, then using gxor you meld the two...

Then for any read/write requests, you take the data, read from the OTP,
xor the data, and pass it on...  Then when you go away, you take the
cdrom, w/o it, there is no data...

I like the idea, and it would be a perfect project from someone who is
learning geom...

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579