Date:      Fri, 10 Oct 1997 21:56:02 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        ken@plutotech.com (Kenneth Merry)
Cc:        rbolin@netchannel.net, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Current 3.0 10-9-97i

> Ron Bolin wrote...
> > In building the present current, the ps command gives the following
> > error:
> >
> > rlb3:/home/rbolin>ps -a
> > ps: proc size mismatch (1312 total, 652 chunks)
> >
> > I believe this is connected with a change in the proc file system as the
> > man pages shows several different

What Ken said is the correct soloution.

To add a bit: it's not a problem with the /proc FS, it's that the proc
structure size has changed in the kernel, and the kernel memory image
is examined by the 'ps' program (and others) via lib kvm, and uses
pointer addition to traverse all the processes.  The pointer addition
will fail if the proc struct size has changed.

In other words, the /proc FS has nothing to do with this error message.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.