Date:      Sun, 12 Sep 2004 20:34:15 +0200
From:      Morten Liebach <m@mongers.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on Xserve?

On 2004-09-12 20:59:07 +0400, Igor Shmukler wrote:

> If original author wants to mature OS with MAC and SMP support SELinux
> might be a good candidate.
> However, Linux does not have jails. Only other OS that has them is
> Solaris 10 which does not run on PPC.

There's something named User Mode Linux which seems to be a little like
jails.  I haven't got the faintest idea how well it works.

> I am not sure what kind of stack protection was referred in the
> original email. OpenBSD has propolis, but I was under impression there
> is no such option in FreeBSD. I recall that it was decided that
> security by obscurity will not make it into the kernel.

It's "propolice".

Maybe http://www.trl.ibm.com/projects/security/ssp/buildfreebsd.html
would be of interest.

There's more than just obscurity to it, but it is obviously better to
have correct code to begin with, then things like Propolice isn't
needed...

Have a nice day
                                 Morten

--