Date:      Wed, 14 Jul 1999 09:40:58 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Marc van Woerkom <van.woerkom@netcologne.de>
To:        ohashi@mickey.ai.kyutech.ac.jp
Cc:        osa@etrust.ru, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: riva-glx (3d hardware acceleration) port

> In our site, riva-glx ports work fine on RIVA128(RAM 4MB), RIVA128(RAM
> 8MB) and RIVA128TNT(RAM 16MB).
>
> I could build xtt-SVGA-1.2.1 with 3D support. It is very nice.

I am glad to hear this! Thanks again to Jordan for his excellent article.

Some additional points:

1. The new server has some additonal 2D accelerations too!
   From the riva-x-glx.faq document:

     Q.  What are the differences in the 2D portion of the X server from the
     3.3.3.1 version?

     A. More 2D acceleration has been added.  Specifically stippled pattern
     fills; the logout screen in KDE was driving me crazy!  The glyph
     rendering routines have all been hooked and accelerated at a high level.
     Some bugs in the video clock routines have been fixed (some people
     mentioned mode switches hanging - hopefully fixed).  The X server now
     recognizes all TNT and TNT2 variants.

2. It looks like it has one 2d visual bug. I use Emacs 20.3.1 from the ports
   collection and here the screen update leaves part of the screen
   uncleaned - a horizontal line remains. (Just use the typical 2 tiled
   Emacs screen and then C-x 1 one window to full size, watch part of the
   separation middle bar to remain on the screen - C-l to refresh)
   I saw something different when browsing through my Netscape navigator
   bookmarks. Again a horizontal line remained.

3. The present port is not perfect yet:

   - It does not check if the XFree86 and Mesa stuff has been removed from
     the system

   - it is likely not to clean everything it put on the system

   - it should have some additional words of guidance, as the 3d acceleration
     works under specific settings only. Please read riva-x-glx.faq!

   - package building has not tested at all

   I will try to improve this during the next two weeks.
   At least it should clean properly at the time XFree86 4 arrives and we
   want to get rid of this stuff. :)

Regards,
Marc