Date:      Tue, 17 Jan 2012 17:38:42 -0800
From:      Devin Teske <devin.teske@fisglobal.com>
To:        "'John Kozubik'" <john@kozubik.com>
Cc:        'Garrett Cooper' <yanegomi@gmail.com>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, WBentley@futurecis.com
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD has serious problems with focus, longevity, and lifecycle

Hi John,

I too am not sure. The latter (pick a "chosen" release) option seems a good
route, but like you say, maybe a re-envisioning of the release procedure is
what's needed for long-term.

>  I think a more sustainable, balanced approach that can be extended
> for every release into the future would be best.
>
> I don't really want to see some semi-official "fork", or "extended release" -
it
> would duplicate a lot of existing effort as well as raise questions about how
> "official" it was.  Would vmware support it as a real release ?  Large
organizations
> might disqualify it the same way they would STABLE.
>
> As for picking 8 or 9 to be the "chosen" exception - that would help me a lot
in the
> short term, but if things are being done wrong, they should be fixed in the
long
> run.
>
> I think the real choice that has to be made is "when will we halt proclaiming
two
> simultaneous releases as production ?" and since 9 is already here, it can't
be 8/9,
> it has to be 9/10.  You could progress 8.x along its current trajectory,
possibly
> building 8.4 a year or so from now and then be done with it, and then that
would
> be the last short/unfocused release.

I often have to deal with "FUD" at work, especially when the developers learn
that FreeBSD has, for example, released FreeBSD 9.0 somewhat indicating that
"oh, no -- we're obsolete?!"

In which I've always had to then explain how "FreeBSD has three versions running
simultaneously at all times -- a legacy release, a stable release, and a future
release," and they are happy with such an explanation.

I usually then go on to explain "back in the day it was 4/5/6, and now it's
8/9/10". Naturally, this is an over-simplified view of the situation, but it
sure would be a nice view if it were absolutely true.

There ought to be a charter that explicitly defines the types of things you can
expect from each release (regardless of which release):

For example, the "legacy" release (which might as well be 8.x now) should:
a. Receive all security patches until deprecated
b. Receive critical bug fixes until deprecated
c. Benefit from trivial hardware device additions (e.g., developer adds "0x10de"
device identifier to if_bgereg.h to add new hardware support to bge(4))

Meanwhile, the "stable" release (which might as well be 9.x now) should:
a. Receive all security patches
b. Receive critical bug fixes
c. Benefit from ALL hardware device changes except experimental ones and those
that completely redesign the driver

Last, the "current" release (which might as well be 10.x now) should:
a. Be the landing zone for all new code, experimental or otherwise.

Finally, the charter ought to also define when a "current" can become "stable"
... not define some arbitrary timeline which results in situations like that
which was previously mentioned in this thread (9.0 shipped as stable release
with completely broken gmultipath).

> Then you postpone 10.0-RELEASE until January 2017.
>
> Instead of having a legacy branch and two production branches, you would have
> legacy (8) production (9) and ... nothing.  Or if you need to have it out
there, 10 is
> the development branch.

+1

> Minor releases come out 2-3 times per year, which gets you to 9.10 or 9.15 at
the
> end of the cycle.

Ought we to have one timeline for stable (aka production) and a different
timeline for legacy?

Say, cut a new release in legacy 1-2 times a year and cut a new release in
production 2-3 times a year?

Just an idea.

> On Tue, 17 Jan 2012, Adrian Chadd wrote:
>
> > OP - if you'd like to see FreeBSD's stable release schedule pushed
> > forward a bit quicker then please, step up and offer to assist. No-one
> > is going to say no. Everyone will appreciate the extra help.
>

> I don't really know how much upheaval is implied in pushing 10.0 to 2017,
> developing only one "production" release, and running 9.x up to 9.15 (or
> whatever) but I can contribute USD $10k per year that this course was
> followed, or $50k over five years.  We can contribute some hardware,
> hosting and bandwidth as well.
>
> Are there any others here who can chip in, or whose firms can ?

Our firm has chipped in (significantly) in the past, and I'm starting to think
it's 'bout time we do it again. But if we're going to do so, we would want
written statements as to what we're paying for.

I think it's worth opening the discussion to all potential investors to see: if
money were thrown at the problem, what could be achieved? what would the charter
look like? is there even enough like-minded investors that a consensus could be
reached for a common goal?
--
Devin