Date:      Fri, 23 Jan 2004 01:45:07 +0100
From:      db <db@traceroute.dk>
To:        des@des.no (Dag-Erling =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Sm=F8rgrav?=), hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 5.2 install hangs

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 20:42:33 +0100
des@des.no (Dag-Erling Sm=F8rgrav) wrote:

> > > do you have anything connected to the secondary ata channel?
> > The cdrom-drive has one channel and the disk and the floppy share the
> > other. (If that's what you mean).
>=20
> I would put the floppy with the CD-ROM, though I don't think it would
> make a difference here since you also tested it with the floppy
> disconnected.

Yeah, it is strange. Disconnecting the floppy didn't help, but putting it o=
n the same channel as the cd-drive (and making the cd-drive master) helped.

> OK.  You might not believe this but I've actually had IRQ conflicts on
> fairly recent Compaq ProLiant servers - ATA controllers seem to be
> very uncomfortable with sharing IRQs.  Could you double-check that
> your BIOS hasn't assigned IRQ 14 or 15 to any other devices?

I've got a compaq proliant 1500 server, byt never tried installing anything=
 on it. But someday, freebsd will live there too ;-)

Thanks for you help!

br
socketd