Date:      Fri, 11 Jun 1999 15:56:15 -0700 (MST)
From:      Steve Grandi <grandi@noao.edu>
To:        obrien@NUXI.com
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: amd and /etc/hosts.allow

I've dug into this a little more: amd is a red herring; any attempt to
to do an NFS mount hangs with mount_nfs hung in D state (ktrace/kdump
shows that nami is the last system call made).

portmap appears to be the problem: rebuilding portmap after commenting out
the line
LDADD=        -lwrap
in /usr/src/usr.sbin/portmap/Makefile makes NFS mounts work again even in
the presence of /etc/hosts.allow

The portion of /etc/hosts.allow that refers to portmap sure appears to me
to be sufficient to let local hosts in:

# Portmapper is used for all RPC services; protect your NFS!
#portmap : localhost : allow
#portmap : .noao.edu : allow
#portmap : .evil.cracker.example.com : deny
portmap : ALL : allow

Any thoughts?  The next time I can play with this system, I will start
portmap with -v to see if any log entries are interesting.

Steve Grandi

On Fri, 11 Jun 1999, David O'Brien wrote:

> > Ever since the "tcpwrapper enabled" tasks came into use in stable, I can't
> > get amd to work.
>
> Since Amd is not started up from inetd, the tcp_wrapers/inetd changes
> could not affect Amd.  Nor has Amd been hacked to interact with libwrap
> what so ever.
>
> --
> -- David    (obrien@NUXI.com  -or-  obrien@FreeBSD.org)

Steve Grandi, National Optical Astronomy Observatories/AURA Inc., Tucson AZ USA
Internet: grandi@noao.edu  Voice: +1 520 318-8228