Date:      Wed, 29 Apr 1998 13:18:21 +0200 (MEST)
From:      hans@artcom.de (Hans Huebner)
To:        luomat+Lists/FreeBSD/Hardware@luomat.peak.org
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FBSD on 386 acting as a router?

In article <199804282214.SAA27631@luomat.peak.org> you write:
>I just found out that they are giving away old 386's at my school tomorrow.

>I don't know anything about them, other than that they are 386's (and have a
>monitor/keyboard/hard drive).

>a) how likely is it that I could actually get this machine to install FreeBSD?
This depends on the amount of RAM the machines have.  With 4 MB, you'll
need a custom kernel.  Apart from that, there should be no problem  - I
booted 2.2.6-R on a 386sx yesterday, and it behaved as expected (i.e.
SLOW).

>b) could it handle being a router/firewall to a two-machine lan (behind a
>cable modem)?
Yes.

>ps -- how much HD space do I need for a basic system (commandline, no X
>stuff) to handle NATD?
None.  It will even work with PicoBSD (which boots from a single 1.44 MB
floppy).

See http://www.freebsd.org/~abial/

-Hans