Date:      Tue, 29 Oct 2002 04:16:34 -0800
From:      Juli Mallett <jmallett@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@freebsd.org>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: make(1) broken!

* De: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@freebsd.org> [ Data: 2002-10-29 ]
	[ Subjecte: make(1) broken! ]

> I've wasted most of my morning on locating why make release was broken.
>
> The answer is that make(1) does not do variable substitutions right
> now, and in particular the line
>
> 	CATDIR=         ${MANDIR:H:S/$/\/cat/}
>
> in bsd.man.mk produces the breaking bogosity.  Notice that the "man" seems
> to not have been stripped as the 'H' instructed.
>
> Rolling make(1) back to yesterday fixed this issue, I don't know if that
> creates any other issues.
>
> Please test make(1) changes on "make release" in the future.

The standard metric has been 'make buildworld' I thought?  Anyway, try
with revision 1.2 of var_modify.c, that should do it.

Realistically, to prevent any sort of breakage to make(1), we should
test make(1) by building every port that does not USE_GMAKE, and do
release, and do cross-release.  Or just not modify it, except for
bugfixes, which should be tested as above.

Anyone want to offer a machine to do this?

Thanks for the report,
juli.
--
Juli Mallett <jmallett@FreeBSD.org>       | FreeBSD: The Power To Serve