Date:      Wed, 21 May 1997 20:43:59 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>
To:        Thomas David Rivers <ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Variable initialization

I'll retry sending that.... dodgy reply addresses ! ;)

[.....]
>  I believe, of course, some of the other arguments far outweigh
> this concern - personally, I much prefer initializations that are
> performed outside of the declaration block... for about the same
> reasons cited.

Heh.  Not so long ago, I wrote code like:

    int f = 0;
    FILE *file = fopen( myfile, "r" );

    for( ; f < maxf; f++ )
    {

It's quite tricky making yourself change so much !  I'm starting
to like style(9) though (because of discussions like this that
explain the reasoning).

--
Brian <brian@awfulhak.org>, <brian@freebsd.org>
      <http://www.awfulhak.org>;