Date:      Mon, 4 Dec 1995 09:46:38 +0100
From:      "Julian Stacey jhs@freebsd.org" <jhs@vector.enet>
To:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, paepcke@arcway.snafu.de
Subject:   Re: emacs dup rx of 10M

Hi, Responding to:
> From: asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
>
>  * I *was* the maintainer, but I haven't been since revision 1.14, when
>  * Satoshi basically took it over.  In particular, the following edit
							 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Don't know what following edit that was, maybe I lost mail ?

>  * probably most accounts for your problem, though it may also be some
>  * bizarre local configuration error as well.  I know you too well to
>  * easily discount the possibility of a highly custom Julian special
>  * over there! :-)

<Chuckle>, could be :-)

> No, this probably has nothing to do with emacs itself.  I remember him
> reporting the exact same problem for some other port (forgot what).

That strikes a vague chord.

>  * > Receiving file: /pub/gnu/emacs-19.30.tar.gz
>
>  * > >> Attempting to fetch from ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/distfi
- le
- s/
- .
>  * > Receiving file: emacs-19.30.tar.gz
>
> Did the first one end up in the directory "/pub/gnu/"?

Yes

> This problem is on our file as ports/467 ("utils/kp wrong distfile
> place after make fetch"), reported by paepcke@arcway.snafu.de (Michael
> Paepcke).  I told Julian to talk to Michael, did you guys find
> anything in common?

I think it fell between the cracks.

> The problem is, I can't reproduce it anywhere.  And apparently nobody
> else can (or we'll be flooded by complaints).  It could be an
> interaction of a particular version of ncftp and a ftpd (just a
> guess).  Don't know what prep's running, the kp master site is my
> machine at school, running stock HP-UX 9.05.

OK, I'll see if a can diagnose this some more,

> If someone else sees something like this, please get back to us.

> Julian, do you have a problem with misc/kp?

Just tried: Yes:

------
===> misc/kp
>> kp-0.95.tar.gz doesn't seem to exist on this system.
>> Attempting to fetch from ftp://forgery.cs.berkeley.edu/pub/.
Receiving file: /pub/kp-0.95.tar.gz
100%  0                                                 15879 bytes. ETA:  0:00
/pub/kp-0.95.tar.gz: 15879 bytes received in 15.82 seconds, 1003.73 Bytes/sec.
>> Attempting to fetch from ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/distfiles/.
Login failed.
>> Couldn't fetch it - please try to retreive this
>> port manually into /usr/ports/distfiles and try again.
*** Error code 1 (ignored)
===> misc/less
------

> Will the problem go away
> if you install ports/net/ncftp2 and set NCFTP=ncftp2 from your command
> line?

I'll let you know,

Thanks for the questions :-) I'll try to solve it.

> Satoshi

Julian
---
Julian H. Stacey	jhs@freebsd.org  	http://www.freebsd.org/~jhs/