Date:      Sat, 3 Jan 1998 21:11:40 -0500
From:      Norman C Rice <nrice@emu.sourcee.com>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: UPSD toggle wraparound and negative response

On Sat, Jan 03, 1998 at 05:52:57PM -0800, Doug White wrote:
> On Sat, 3 Jan 1998, Norman C Rice wrote:
>
> > I am running the experimental upsd port on several FreeBSD 2.2.5-STABLE
> > systems with APC Smart-UPS 1000s. Every 10 minutes /var/log/messages
> > receives entries similar to
> >
> > Jan  3 11:17:38 emu upsd[231]: apc_tune: toggle wraparound
> > Jan  3 11:17:39 emu upsd[231]: apc_tune: toggle wraparound
> > Jan  3 11:17:39 emu upsd[231]: apc_tune: negative response:    NO
> > Jan  3 11:17:40 emu upsd[231]: apc_tune: toggle wraparound
> >

> Warning:  the default upsd is wired for use on 240 volt UPS units.  The
> voltage-dependent values will *NOT* work for 120 volt units.  These lines
> are probably causing your problem:
>
> >     tune "high-transfer-point"          264
> >     tune "low-transfer-point"           196
> >     tune "nominal-voltage"              220

Yes. I noticed these values. It appears that these values are straight
from `apc_static.c'. It appears that unless values (shutdown times,
voltages, etc.) are within the data structures that they don't work
in the configuration file. If this is true (I haven't looked real
close at the code), perhaps a rewrite is on order. Are the APC Smart-UPS
programming specifications freely available?

> You will need my modified version of upsd that is set up with values for
> 120 volt operation.  That or remove these lines and use the built-in
> defaults for the UPS (or toggle the rear switches to your taste).
>
> > My experiments with removal of line power indicate that the shutdown
> > process and line restoration work properly. For the time being, I
> > have commented out these messages in apc.c.
>
> The negative response may be coming from a command like so:
>
> poll "last-test"
>
> This checks the results of the last self-test of the UPS.  If you aren't
> running self tests, it'll report NO until one is run either manually or
> automatically as programmed into the UPS.  I thought the line was annoying
> to and just didn't have upsd check that (or else I removed the printf :-))
>
> Beginning Monday you can fetch this from:
>
> ftp://gdi.uoregon.edu/pub/upsd-2.0.1.6.1.tgz
>
> See the README for quick info and examples/upsd.conf.120v for starters.
> If you want to get fancy with tuning the transfer points and such, you'll
> have to fish the values out of apc_static.c.  I actually have a manpage in
> there, but it isn't installed by default.

Great, I hope your `README' and manual page takes a little more disk space
than the corresponding ones in the experimental port. :-)

> Hope this helps.

It sure does.

Thanks, Doug. I will download your efforts on Monday and report back.
--
Regards,
Norman C. Rice, Jr.