Date:      Wed, 22 Aug 2012 02:22:41 +1000 (EST)
From:      Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
To:        Gary Aitken <ah@dreamchaser.org>
Cc:        freebsd@dreamchaser.org, Matthew Seaman <matthew@freebsd.org>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 9.0 release hang in quiescent X [Solved]

On Tue, 21 Aug 2012 09:54:14 -0600, Gary Aitken wrote:
 > Having run for a couple of days now without problems,
 > I'm guardedly optimistic I've solved this problem.
 > It appears the problem had nothing to do with screen blanking.
 > The solution was to disable memory mapping in BIOS,
 > whose purpose is to recover the memory addresses reserved for hardware
 > in old PC architectures.
 > It means some memory will never be used, but that's better than a hang.
 >
 > http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20110131214116581&board_id=1&model=M4A89TD+PRO%2fUSB3&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

That's great news Gary, good hunting.

I read that forum post, which did look worth trying.  Whether it's a
BIOS bug or just something to watch out for I don't know, but it seems
to be a trap for the unwary; so many BIOS settings are poorly explained.

Those guys were losing 768MB or more, but had plenty to spare.  You?

I'm still running an older Xorg here, so had no idea about any default
10 minute blanktime.  I'll remember that ..

[..]

cheers, Ian