Date:      Sun, 24 Sep 2017 21:08:01 -0700
From:      Russell Haley <russ.haley@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Porters Handbook section 4.4

Hi,

Section 4.3 of the porters handbook talks about making modifications
to a private copy of a tarball and recording the steps.

Section 4.4 talks about changing directories into the affected ports
dir and running make makepatch to generate patch files.

I am unsure how the makepatch target is supposed to find my private
directory. Since I was confused, I created patches, added them to the
port, ran make, then ran make makepatch and the system re-generated
new "makepatch" patches.

So, my question is thus:

To me, section 4.4 seems vague about where changes should be made,
which is compounded by the information in section 4.3. Can the
makepatch target ask for and find a private directory, or should the
handbook be clarified to state that the changes should be made to the
'work' folder? If the later is true, I assume there is some proper
workflow to keep changes from being destroyed while testing?

If there is a section in the handbook clarifying this, please just say
so and I will go find it.

Thanks!
Russ