Date:      Fri, 06 Jul 2012 14:56:13 -0400
From:      Bob Healey <healer@rpi.edu>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problems with crashing IBM X3630 M3/ZFS

Hello.  I've got a quartet of IBM x3630 M3 with one that is frequently
hard locking under heavy NFS load.  I am running 9.0-RELEASE with all
the patches from freebsd-update.

My problem machine has 8 16 core clients, each doing IO intensive tasks
connected to it via a Procurve and the onboard igb0 interface.  Mostly
network reads, typically 10MB read per MB written.
When the machine locks under load, none of the consoles respond, nor can
I reach the machine via ethernet.  I can break into DDB via the serial
over lan interface, and am running a debug/witness kernel at the moment
(I was running GENERIC previously).  During the boot sequence, witness
tosses me into DDB ~10 times before I get a login prompt. Prior to this
machine acting up, it had multiple 802.1q vlans, and ran 9K packets on
its private network to the compute clients.

A dmesg can be found at http://boyle.che.rpi.edu/~healer/boomer/dmesg
/etc/rc.conf can be found at http://boyle.che.rpi.edu/~healer/boomer/rc.conf
A listing of installed ports can be found at
http://boyle.che.rpi.edu/~healer/boomer/pkg_info
The output of psauxwwo wchan against my two crash dumps can be found at
http://boyle.che.rpi.edu/~healer/boomer/crash1-psaux-wchan and
http://boyle.che.rpi.edu/~healer/boomer/crash2-psaux-wchan

I'm not entire convinced this is software, but I've run out of local
experts to ask, and can't prove its hardware.

--
Bob Healey
Systems Administrator