Date:      Sat, 13 Dec 2003 18:22:27 -0600
From:      Dustin Puryear <dpuryear@usa.net>
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org <freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org>

I need a general purpose server that will do the following tasks:

1. Run Postfix and Courier-IMAP with Amavis-new/SpamAssassin
2. Run RT (from Best Practice), a very nice ticketing system that runs un=
der
Apache.
3. CVS server

This server will serve about 3-10 people. Not many. I have found though t=
hat
RT needs a lot of horsepower to run fast, and as more people access RT sp=
eed
may be an issue.

I have two servers that I can use for this purpose:

1. Dual PII 333Mhz with 512MB RAM and 40MB/sec SCSI disk.
2. AlphaPC 600Mhz with 512MB RAM and 40MB/sec SCSI disk.

I have been benchmarking both servers using various benchmarks under
ports/benchmarks. (I did notice that Bytebench doesn't finish on the Alph=
a.)

What is your general thoughts on which server will serve in this capacity=
 in
the long-term? I am curious how you would rate the Alpha against this spe=
cific
Intel-based system.

I have to admit that I'm new to the Alpha platform, and so I'm also just
trying to get the general feel for what kind of Intel-based system would =
be
comparable to this particular Alpha.

I know it's hard, if not impossible, to just say "X is better than Y."