Date:      Fri, 22 Oct 1999 17:09:21 +0200
From:      Koen Schreel <K.R.A.M.Schreel@wtb.tue.nl>
To:        Luoqi Chen <luoqi@watermarkgroup.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: aic driver camified

Luoqi Chen wrote:

> > I cannot compile a kernel. It reports the following errors:
>
> Did the patch files.diff apply cleanly? It should add one line to each of
> the sys/conf/files and sys/i386/conf/files.i386, please make sure they
> are there.

The patches did not apply cleanly (maybe I should take a better look at
the patch command), but a quick glance at the diff file revealed the two
lines to be added. I added them manually, but still the problem exists.
Then I took it another step further, and added aic.c and aic.o in the
Makefile in the compile directory. This is not how it is supposed to be,
I think, but now it compiles.

I used the latest files on the site (21 october), and some improvement
is noticed, but it still does not work. I only tested the new code under
STABLE.

When booting with the scanner switched on, it is being recognised and
the boot continues, but sane does not recognise it (which it does when
the scanner is connected to the on-board controller). When sane is
trying to recognise the scanner, a the following line is written in the
logs:

Oct 22 16:04:39 diabolo /kernel: ccb 0xc0dec800 sense failed 2

A camcontrol rescan times out with the following message:

(probe6:aic0:0:6:0): ccb 0xc0df1c00 - timed out

I moved then the Philips CD writer (not the greatest of all SCSI
devices, but it works) to the aic controller, but then the machine hangs
at boot time with a lot of time out messages like:

(probe17:aic0:0:2:2): ccb 0xc0dffe00 - timed out
(probe17:aic0:0:2:2): ccb 0xc0dffe00 - timed out
(probe17:aic0:0:2:3): ccb 0xc0dffe00 - timed out
(probe17:aic0:0:2:3): ccb 0xc0dffe00 - timed out
(probe17:aic0:0:2:7): ccb 0xc0dffe00 - timed out
(probe17:aic0:0:2:7): ccb 0xc0dffe00 - timed out

Between each set of identical lines the CD recorder reinitializes and
there is some time (~15s) between the two identical lines.

Hope this helps a bit :-)

Koen.

--
Dr. K.R.A.M. Schreel         |   Eindhoven University of Technology
                             |   Faculty of Mechanical Engineering
Combustion Research          |   Section Energy Technology
K.R.A.M.Schreel@wtb.tue.nl   |   5600 MB  Eindhoven, The Netherlands