Date:      Tue, 11 Feb 2003 06:39:00 -0600
From:      Greg Panula <greg.panula@dolaninformation.com>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Cc:        Andriy Gapon <agapon@cv-nj.com>, freebsd-ipfw@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ipsec & ipfw: 4.7-release vs -stable

Andriy Gapon wrote:

> Is there any remedy expected before 4.8 release for the situation with
> ipsec & ipfw interaction that was created after 'ip_input.c 1.130.2.40,
> MFC: 1.214' ?
>
> The reason I am asking this question with such a big crosspost is that it
> seems that all previous discussions on this topic resulted in nothing. And
> this change definetely breaks things for those who use ipsec without extra
> stuff like gif tunnels. It definetely doesn't look like a kind of change
> welcomed in -stable branch, not mentioning a potential security
> vulnaribity for those who can not use gif.
>
> I apologize in the case I have missed any latest developments in this
> area.
>
> --

Would it be possible to extend the sysctl variable
'net.inet.ip.fw.one_pass' to include ipsec(esp) traffic?  Or maybe
create a new similar sysctl variable, e.g.
net.inet.ip.fw.ipsec.one_pass?

When enabled it would allow ipsec gateways to filter decrypted rfc1918
network traffic on their internal interface(s) and have the all
encompassing block rfc1918 traffic on their external interface(s).

In the case of non-gateway/single interface boxes using ipsec, the
multiple passes thru ipfw behavior could still be used to filter
decrypted traffic.

Not sure how do-able this is, but it avoids the hassle gif/ipip
tunnels(thus keeping interoperability with other non-bsd/linux devices)
and also avoids the possible quagmire of a "dedicated" ipsec/esp
interface.

Just my two bits,
  greg