Date:      Tue, 09 Dec 1997 07:36:34 +0000
From:      Jason Wells <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?=22=DEor=F0ur_Ivarsson=22?= <totii@est.is>, gaof@public.intercom.com.cn
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: about quota

At 13:15 12/8/97 +0000, Žoršur Ivarsson wrote:
>Gao Fei wrote:
>>
>> I have some questions about quota.
>>  I edquota one user's quota to 1M,but his can get mail larger than 1M.
>> then this user get mail, system tell him/her quota exceed.
>> another strange thing, if this user get 800K mail,when he/she get
>> mail,system
>> also tell him/her quota exceed,it seemed,when one user get mail,system
>> copy
>> his mail.so his/her quota exceed.
>> Please tell me why?
>
>Sendmail is running as 'root' and writes to the /var/mail throug local
>mailer that runns as 'root'.

If you look in /var/mail at your mail file you will see it is owned by
yourself. Since you have ownership of it, it should count against your
quota. We have observer that this is not the case. So we ask, "What is
going on?"

>Root has no quotas and therefor does not limit what user gets from
>Sendmail.

If root makes a file owned by someone else and that file causes a quota
violation, the user will get nabbed.

FWIW. You can establish a quota on root like any other user. It is not a
very good idea though.

>When user fetches his mail, his mail is copied to temporary file, under
>users name, that has quota, that has exeded!

This answer uses IRIX semantics. (I may be making a big mistake here. Bare
with me. The man pages seem to agree with what I will say.) Quota
establishes a quota on a per filesystem basis. Take a peek at your
/etc/fstab.

More than likely this system has established a seperate /var filesystem.
Also more that likely is that this system has not placed a quota on /var.
There is no quota to violate on /var whatsoever.

When the user fetches mail, the data is copied into the /usr filesystem
from the /var filesystem. The /usr filsystem DOES have quota. Bingo, the
user gets nabbed for having more than one meg of storage.

Now. About the 800k of mail question. The user may have 200k of other
files, which, when added to 800k exceed the quota. ::shrug:: It apears that
FreeBSD does not have a 'number of files' limit.

Have fun,
Jason Wells