Date:      Fri, 09 Apr 1999 22:40:29 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Nathan Ahlstrom <nrahlstr@winternet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: viewing .AVI files?

Nathan Ahlstrom writes:
> David Kelly <dkelly@HiWAAY.net> wrote:
> > Somebody sent me an .AVI file. First search thru /usr/ports failed to
> > locate something to view it.
> >
> > % cd /usr/ports
> > % find . -name DESC -exec grep -il avi "{}" \;
> >
> > This found too many things, incorrectly:
> > % make search key=avi
> >
> > Any way to view such a file on FreeBSD?
>
> You might try Xanim.  /usr/ports/graphics/xanim.

Well, it was worth a try:

nospam: {1139} xanim *.avi &
[4] 72396
nospam: {1140} XAnim Rev 2.80.0 by Mark Podlipec Copyright (C) 1991-1999. All Rights Reserved
AVI Video Codec: Intel Indeo R3.2 is unsupported by this executable.(E18)
      Please see the file "indeo.readme".
  AVI Notice: No supported Video frames - treating as audio only file

[4]    Done                          xanim *.avi
nospam: {1140}