Date:      Tue, 16 Apr 2002 22:41:12 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>
To:        apache@ukr.net
Cc:        isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ipfw fwd to named

On Tue, 16 Apr 2002 apache@ukr.net wrote:

> > do you have a loopback route at the host environment like:
> > 192.168.10.26      127.0.0.1          UGHS        3     4497    lo0
> >
> > at my side that was the problem (and this route is never mentioned at the
> > jail-man page...( )
>
> 	it didn't help. As i've told, i can ``dig -p 2053 ...'',
> but without port option forwarding doesn't work.

  I'm not sure why you want to do this, but "fwd" simply directs the
packet to a specific port.  It doesn't alter the packet, so the
application must understand what to do with it.  named will simply drop
packets coming from an IP that it didn't bind to.

  You probably want to do a form of NAT, so the source and destination IPs
are translated prior to directing the packets to named. Basically, so the
destination IP is translated to the IP you are forwarding it to, and
reversed on reply traffic.  However, that seems like a lot of overhead.
Much better to get DNS traffic to go direct.

Tom