Date:      Mon, 23 Feb 1998 16:14:07 +0000
From:      "Mark Castillo - webFreaks.com" <phineas@webfreaks.com>
To:        Tim Gustafson <guff@falconsoft.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and Quota Problems?

Tim,
The online handbook has a whole section on this.  I am not sure what is
buggy about it, it seems to work fine for me.  The soft limit is like a
"warning" limit to the user. The hard limit will not let the user go above
the limit by any means.  The grace period allows a user to use above the
soft limit for a given amount of time, after that time is up, they cannot
write any more blocks.  For example, I set a soft limit of 10000 blocks
(10MB), and a hard limit of 10500 blocks (10.5MB).  A grace period of 7
days is defaulted.  If this user goes above 10MB, he will get a warning
message.  The grace period is now in effect.  During this grace period, he
may write above 10MB (he will get warnings), but never ober 10.5MB (hard
limit).