Date:      Fri, 21 Apr 2023 23:37:08 +0200
From:      Mario Marietto <marietto2008@gmail.com>
To:        Aryeh Friedman <aryeh.friedman@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Installing openAI's GPT-2 Ada AI Language Model

--000000000000ae0bba05f9df7784

1) try to use the linuxulator instead of bhyve (try to remember what Albert
Einstein tells about those people that want to solve a problem without
changing their perspective : he does not spend nice words for those people)

2) actually an nvidia gpu can be passed-thru within linux (and within
windows 11 if the gpu is amd)

3) the tutorial that we are suggesting may work even if you don't want to
use your gpu

4) probably you should find the exact version of pytorch that it wants

On Fri, Apr 21, 2023 at 10:34=E2=80=AFPM Aryeh Friedman <aryeh.friedman@gma=
il.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 21, 2023 at 9:41=E2=80=AFAM Amar Takhar <verm@darkbeer.org> w=
rote:

> > I have a tutorial I wrote on how to setup PyTorch on FreeBSD with Stabl=
> > Diffusion.
> >
> >   https://github.com/verm/freebsd-stable-diffusion
>
> Thanks for the pointer but it assumes I have a (nvidia) GPU available.
>   Since this is a VM on bhyve there is no currently working GPU
> passthrough for it.  (I do use a nVidia Geforce GT 1030 with
> nvidia-modeselect but it is not passable to the VM and due to hardware
> resources don't have a physical machine I can assign to the task).
>
> I have gotten as far as the part in the blog as installing pyTorch and
> keep getting "no compatible versions found" out of pip and when I
> search for any suitable ones it seems to not be there.   Thus I have
> to revert to building pytorch from scratch and it blows up because the
> host/guest CPU is not Intel.
>

> > There are some issues with getting PyTorch working on FreeBSD and it's
> kind of a
> > moving target I had it working once but it quickly broke this was years
> ago
> > using the Linuxlator it's been rock solid for years.
> >
> > Another thing to note is the miniconda-installer script is hardcoded to
> an old
> > version of Python you'll have to edit line 56 in the script and change
> it to 3.9
> > or 3.10.  Not sure what to do about this yet I haven't had a chance to
> email the
> > maintainer.
> >
> > I'd recommend going this route.
> >

> > Amar.
> >

> --
> Aryeh M. Friedman, Lead Developer, http://www.PetiteCloud.org

--=20
Mario.

--000000000000ae0bba05f9df7784

o remember what Albert Einstein tells about those people that want to solve=
 a problem without changing their perspective : he does not spend nice word=
can be passed-thru within linux (and within windows 11 if the gpu is amd)</=
ail_attr">On Fri, Apr 21, 2023 at 10:34=E2=80=AFPM Aryeh Friedman &lt;<a hr=
ef=3D"mailto:aryeh.friedman@gmail.com">aryeh.friedman@gmail.com</a>&gt; wro=
te:<br></div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px =
0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">On Fri, Apr =
21, 2023 at 9:41=E2=80=AFAM Amar Takhar &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:verm@darkbeer=
.org" target=3D"_blank">verm@darkbeer.org</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; I have a tutorial I wrote on how to setup PyTorch on FreeBSD with Stab=
le<br>
&gt; Diffusion.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0<a href=3D"https://github.com/verm/freebsd-stable-diffusio=
n" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">https://github.com/verm/freebsd-sta=
ble-diffusion</a><br>
Thanks for the pointer but it assumes I have a (nvidia) GPU available.<br>
=C2=A0 Since this is a VM on bhyve there is no currently working GPU<br>
passthrough for it.=C2=A0 (I do use a nVidia Geforce GT 1030 with<br>
nvidia-modeselect but it is not passable to the VM and due to hardware<br>
resources don&#39;t have a physical machine I can assign to the task).<br>
I have gotten as far as the part in the blog as installing pyTorch and<br>
keep getting &quot;no compatible versions found&quot; out of pip and when I=
search for any suitable ones it seems to not be there.=C2=A0 =C2=A0Thus I h=
ave<br>
to revert to building pytorch from scratch and it blows up because the<br>
host/guest CPU is not Intel.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; There are some issues with getting PyTorch working on FreeBSD and it&#=
39;s kind of a<br>
&gt; moving target I had it working once but it quickly broke this was year=
s ago<br>
&gt; using the Linuxlator it&#39;s been rock solid for years.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Another thing to note is the miniconda-installer script is hardcoded t=
o an old<br>
&gt; version of Python you&#39;ll have to edit line 56 in the script and ch=
ange it to 3.9<br>
&gt; or 3.10.=C2=A0 Not sure what to do about this yet I haven&#39;t had a =
chance to email the<br>
&gt; maintainer.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; I&#39;d recommend going this route.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Amar.<br>
&gt;<br>