Date:      Sun, 28 Jan 1996 15:44:31 -0500 (EST)
From:      Barry Masterson <jbarrm@panix.com>
To:        "Freebsd.questions" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Hylafax;uucp & dialer permissions.

I've installed hylafax-v3.0pl0. It works without any serious problems.
Except for hylafax changes the permissions on /dev/cuaa1:

crw-rw----  1 uucp  dialer   28, 128 Jan 27 16:03 cuaa0
crw-------  1 uucp  dialer   28, 129 Jan 28 12:54 cuaa1

In order to dial out with kermit, ppp, seyon, after using 'sendfax'
I have to 'su -' and re-chmod cuaa1 to give rw access back to dialer.
The hylafax manual suggests using 'config', & 'make depend' to fix this;

 '..look at the DeviceMode configuration parameter in config(4F) to
  control the protection mode that HylaFAX sets for the device.'

Does this mean I have to add a single_line value to my custom kernel
config file that defines hylafax, and the permission modes I want to
preserve?

Or is there a separate hylafax_preserve_dialer_permissions config
file that I have to create first?

I've already tried changing most of the "chmod(device, 0600);" references
in the hylafax source code to 0660,(& recompiling) but this has no effect.
I've also written to the flexfax mailing list, but that seems to be a low
volume list, I haven't heard anything yet.

I'm at a temporary loss as just what to do next. Any suggestions would be
appreciated.

Thank You
Barry Masterson
jbarrm@panix.com