Date:      Wed, 14 Nov 2001 05:11:33 -0500
From:      Bill Vermillion <bv@wjv.com>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-stable-digest@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ATA hard drives

> Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 12:52:51 +0100 (CET)
> From: Attila Nagy <bra@fsn.hu>
> Subject: Re: ATA Hard Drives
>
> Hello,
>
> > What is the largest/fastest ATA drives currently supported by -STABLE?
> FreeBSD supports 48 bit addressing (introduced with ATA133 standard), so
> the limit is quite theoretical.
> BTW, the largest ATA drive I know of is the Maxtor 4G160J8 (160 GBs).
> Although this may be the largest it isn't the fastest, because it spins
> only with 5400 RPM.

Just a comment on rotational speed.  You should always check the
manfacturers specs as the design of the head can greatly affect the
speed of transfer to/from the platters.  I have seen 5400 RPM
drives move data faster than 7200 RPM drives.  You don't see it
often but RPM alone is not sole determining factor as much as
legend would make you think it is.