Date:      Mon, 17 Aug 2020 10:36:22 -0400
From:      "Farhan Khan" <farhan@farhan.codes>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Recognizing Matrix as an official channel

I apologize for double-posting, it appears my phone's email client removed the spacing. Resending from the web-client.

-----
Hi,

I am a long-time IRC user. I see that FreeBSD recognizes the EFnet and FreeNode channels as official, as listed here: https://wiki.freebsd.org/IRC/Channels. While it continues to serve the community, there are major limitations and I feel that it might be time to migrate towards a replacement.

The "market" of communication going forward is clearly shifting towards more feature-ful protocols, such as Slack, Discord or Gitter. The only open-source and viable option in this class systems that I see Matrix. There is an active FreeBSD channel located at #FreeBSD:matrix.org, along with a few other BSD-related channels.

I propose making this an officially recognized channel for FreeBSD communication and encouraging migration from IRC to Matrix.

Thank you
-----