Date:      Mon, 30 Mar 2009 08:33:39 -0700
From:      Norbert Papke <npapke@acm.org>
To:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Xorg 7.4 crashes on exit

On March 30, 2009, Robert Noland wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-03-30 at 11:53 +0100, N.J. Mann wrote:
> > Okay I tried out your recent changes this morning.
> >
> > First I did a svn update to r190540 to bring my sources up to date and
> > then I built a new 7-Stable world and kernel and installed them.  Sadly,
> > I still got the video mode corruption on exiting X or switching from X
> > to a VT.  I then merged all the changes from head/sys/dev/drm to
> > stable/7/sys/dev/drm and tried again.  Unfortunately, I got the same
> > results.
>
> Which chip do you have?  I have a patch now that fixes vblank issues, at
> least I can't break it.  This corruption issue on shutdown still exists,
> but I've never had a problem vt switching.  I'm told that something is
> still wrong with interrupts on g45 though.

Just to add a datapoint:

I have a new box with a G45 part.  All software (including ports) is
up-to-date as of a couple of days ago.  With 7-stable, I sometimes experience
lock-ups when starting or stopping X, about 1 in 3 attempts fail.  The
failure may well be interrupt related.  The monitor blanks (no signal) and
the keyboard is unresponsive (cannot toggle caps-lock light).  A reset is
required.  Once I get past startup, everything seems to be working fine.

I applied the Current DRM changes to see if they would help.  With the changes
from Current, I experienced lockup on every attempt to start X.

If there is any value, I can provide dmesg, logs, etc.

Thanks for all the work and time you spend on this.

Cheers,

-- Norbert Papke.
   npapke@acm.org