Date:      Tue, 21 Dec 1999 17:14:18 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        alk@pobox.com
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: is this really a bad disklabel?

> I can't seem to boot from wd1s3a.  When I run the loader, and set
> currdev=disk2s3a, it won't ls, and when I try to lsdev, it says there
> is a bad partition table on wd1.

That's pretty categoric; if the loader doesn't like your partition table,
you're not going to have much luck.

>  I found it necessary to change the
> BIOS parameters using sysinstall before I could write the label and
> boot1, boot2.  (I believe the boot and loader on both drives is
> -current now.)  When I run fdisk from Win98, drive D: is shown as
> 504MB in toto, although the partition sizes are correct.  wd0 is WDC
> AC313000R (primary master), while wd1 is WDC WC136AA (secondary
> master).

It looks very much like you've got the BIOS and the MBR totally and
utterly confused.

> I can run multiboot on wd1 using 'F5' in the wd0 multiboot, but
> attempting to boot wd1s3 thereafter fails, returning to the multiboot.

I can't begin to guess what "running multiboot" is meant to mean.  I
guess that what you're trying to say is that when you select the second
disk from boot0 (or booteasy, or whatever), you get boot0 off the second
disk, but it can't load anything from there.

This is, again, consistent with having the MBR on the second disk really
badly screwed up.  You may want to add some more diagnostics to the
loader to see why it's unhappy with the MBR.