Date:      Sat, 24 Sep 2005 16:05:17 +0100
From:      Chris Howells <howells@kde.org>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: VIA VT6103 support (VIA EPIA PD)

--nextPart3048185.QlU0SCL8SJ

On Thursday 22 September 2005 11:40, Oliver Fromme wrote:
> I know that both are supposed to be supported by FreeBSD.
> However, searching the lists and PR database reveals that
> a few people had problems with the VT6103 (and VT6102, it
> seems), causing the interface to hang randomly when there
> is a lot of traffic.  I couldn't find any definite infor-
> mation about whether those problems have been solved or
> not.

There is a BIOS bug on various Via boards that causes a lockup when large=20
amounts of DMA transfers happen, either via the ethernet interfaces or via=
=20
IDE.

It look a very long time for Via to admit that it happens and to start=20
attempting to issue a fix.

The fix is a BIOS which is clearly marked as Beta.

Personally I'd steer clear of such Via boards.

=2D-=20
Cheers, Chris Howells -- chris@chrishowells.co.uk, howells@kde.org
Web: http://www.chrishowells.co.uk, PGP ID: 0x33795A2C
KDE/Qt/C++/PHP Developer: http://www.kde.org