Date:      Thu, 5 Sep 2002 23:42:15 +0400
From:      "Andrey A. Chernov" <ache@nagual.pp.ru>
To:        Mikhail Teterin <mi+mx@aldan.algebra.com>
Cc:        Mikhail Teterin <mi+kde@aldan.algebra.com>, i18n@FreeBSD.ORG, Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.ORG>, anholt@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: recap (Re: koi8-r is obsoleted by koi8-u)

I don't comment Mikhail's nonprofessional proposals I already comment,
only new nonprofessional ones:

> be the most standard compliant, I find it wasteful of the diskspace and
> X-server memory, because:

There can be port's Makefile knobs to turn off any of unneeded charset,
knobs not active by default. F.e. I don't need to waste space and memory
on koi8-u and koi8-c. Even all 3 are installed, they can be turned off in
Xfree86 Config.

> 	a) No existing application relies on the few pseudographics
> 	replaced in the koi8-r by the new koi8-c and koi8-u with more
> 	Cyrillic (but not Russian) letters.

Any existen application which use or switch X11 font relies on it.

> 	Andrey finally named Russian FIDO conferences as a counterexample,
> 	but even those require the updated koi8-r fonts -- the ones, that
> 	are a part of XFree86 at the moment will not work anyway.

And what? It means only that Cronyx fonts needs more fixing.

> 	b) New applications should be encouraged to use the more complete
> 	charsets such as koi8-u or koi8-c instead

Applications are not people and can't be encouraged. They simple use what
user tells them to use. And user may tell to use koi8-r.

> No standard _requires_ an application to use those symbols while the
> brokennes of the most widely installed fonts (earlier Cronyx ones)
> _prevents_ them from doing so. Hence, no such application exists.

Usually application don't know about brokennes of some fonts, this
abstract level is below application control, it just use font, some
unknown font.

> Reading those in "full beauty" requires installing the separate port --
> of updated Cronyx fonts -- anyway. My claim, that no application exists,
> that makes use of those few symbols stands.

There is a lot of them, f.e. xterm.

--
Andrey A. Chernov
http://ache.pp.ru/