Date:      Tue, 16 Feb 1999 23:33:17 -0500 (EST)
From:      Brian Feldman <green@unixhelp.org>
To:        Luoqi Chen <luoqi@watermarkgroup.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, doconnor@gsoft.com.au
Subject:   Re:  SMP and SO5.0

On Tue, 16 Feb 1999, Luoqi Chen wrote:

> > Hi,
> > I downloaded Star Office 5 and only THEN realised that the code for doing linux thread
> > emulation is #ifndef SMP :) Still, after downloading 70 meg over a 56k modem and paying
> > 19c/meg I was gonna try the sucker regardless.. And well, it works!
> >
> > The install hung at the end, after its done everything, so I killed it, but after that I
> > can run it with (seemingly) no problems.. (Except for the 2000 odd 'shared address space
> > fork attempted' messages in my syslog)
> >
> > I only had a quick fiddle, but it started up everything fine and ran quite well..
> >
> > The install was a pain tho, as I had to unpack the setup program (its a self extracting
> > zip) and rename the libs in it to lower case and then add an LD_LIBRARY_PATH to point to
> > them, but apart from that it was OK.
> >
> > Its worth noting though, that eMusic which uses Linux threads doesn't work under
> > emulation (it just hangs) I think I'll boot a non-SMP kernel and have a go ('cause it
> > took me an hour to find all of the $!@$ dependancies it needs because Linux ldd doesn't
> > work anymore)
> >
> > ---
> > Daniel O'Connor software and network engineer
> > for Genesis Software - http://www.gsoft.com.au
> > "The nice thing about standards is that there
> > are so many of them to choose from."
> >   -- Andrew Tanenbaum
> >
> You may try my patch at http://www.freebsd.org/~luoqi, which would allow
> linux threads to run on SMP.
>
> -lq

With any form of kernel threads not working, and aio being highly unstable for
SMP because of the VM system, is it not worthwhile to actually implement or
merge the changes like this?

 Brian Feldman					  _ __  ___ ___ ___
 green@unixhelp.org			      _ __ ___ | _ ) __|   \
	     http://www.freebsd.org/	 _ __ ___ ____ | _ \__ \ |) |