Date:      Tue, 2 Apr 1996 12:51:59 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        imb@scgt.oz.au (michael butler)
Cc:        cracauer@wavehh.hanse.de, angio@shell.ARos.NET, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: "active" (INND14unoff4,shared) gets corrupted

> > That makes it possible that mmap'ed INN fails for low-load sites (when
> > more than one client may send articles) and to work on heavyly-loaded
> > servers (when only one client at a time sfeeds news to the server and
> > the rest is "consumer").
>
> This is consistent with my experience .. I have more than one streaming feed
> plus UUCP, gated FidoNet traffic and NNTP readers,

It is not a legitimate use to extended a mapped file without remapping
it.

Specifically, if the mapping goes from a frag to a larger frag (or to a
block) as a result of being extended, it's obvious that you should expect
problems.

That this works on SVR4 and SunOS is an artifact of their VM system
cache being device/block based.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---