Date:      Fri, 12 Feb 1999 18:47:11 -0800 (PST)
From:      Piet Delaney <piet@cup.hp.com>
To:        sparc-list@redhat.com
Cc:        piet@hpfsvr02.cup.hp.com, freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.ORG, tech@openbsd.org, obrien@NUXI.com, hasty@star-gate.com, piet@piet.net
Subject:   Re: 24ibt on ZX/leo framebuffer - RUns a bit to hot for my taste on a SS2 and seemed to glitched

> Just have to say, it would be nice if leo were supported better since the
> Creator series only works in Ultra's, the TCX only in 5's (think that's
> right, I know it only works in one model), and the SX of course only
> applies to 20's. I could be wrong, but I believe the leo will work in any
> Sun with 2 open S-bus slots, this would mean SPARC linux could deliver 24
> bit graphics on all supported Sun hardware. Ok, I know the
> if-you-want-it-code-it-yourself motto of linux, but not being a C
> programmer, I wouldn't know where to begin (though I am not against
> learning, but having no reference to begin with makes that tough).
>
> Yoshua Gilbert
> yoshua@eskimo.com

  I bought a Leo/cg14 and a sbus based cg8 for doing true color. The cg8 seems
to work fine in the older sparc1's but the Leo appeared to be overheating
possibly so I pulled it out (unharmed). It started with a white screen in
OBP but degenerated to a yellow screen which persisted after doing a reset
on OBP. I'd suggest that folks like myself that feel like experementing with
this card in the GNU UNIX environment (Linux/OpenBSD/NetBSD/FreeBSD) plain to
use an old SPARCstation-10 for now. The solaris 2.4 envoronment doesn't include
the Leo driver for sun4c systems.

  I suspect that the cooling on the ss10 may be better than on the SS2. Both are
running new version of OBP (like 2.9 on the SS2). The bottom of the Leo has some
large heat sinks that are very hot even comming out of the SS10.

  I'd be interested in working a few hours a week with any folks working on the
drivers for a GNU UNIX for these cards. I wrote a driver for another 24 bit
graphhics card so I know the basics and use kernel src level debuging every
day a work. On OpenBSD I've been having trouble setting up gdb for remote
src level debugging. I got a copy of the linux code off the net and sent it
to a guy and it seemd to work when I told him what to do so I should be
able to use it on sparc linux also (Unfortunately still running an old copy).

  I find the CVS src update environment on OpenBSD to be great, is Linux now
just as easy as going to /usr/src doing a cvs upate, compiling the kernel,
rebooting and then make in /usr/src and your up to the latest and greatest.
I got the impression that Linux was a bit messer?

-piet