Date:      Mon, 26 Jun 2000 19:31:31 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        Joey Garcia <gummibear@nettaxi.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Locale Errors while in Xterms and GNOME

On Mon, Jun 26, 2000 at 08:36:03AM +0000, Joey Garcia wrote:
> I was wondering what this meant and how could it be resolved?  I looked
> at the perl locale man page and I was curious to how I can set my locale
> correctly.  I even took a look in /usr/share/locale but wasn't sure what
> it all meant.  Since I'm in the U.S. I'm assuming I'd use some us
> locales, but I'm not sure how to correctly go about doing this.  Any
> help would be appreciated.  Some locale warnings and stuff is listed
> below.
>
> ####################################
>
> Below are GTK/GDK warnings that I get after running GNOME in my
> xinit.log  (startx > xinit.log 2>&1)  I get these alot, one after
> another almost endlessly.
>
> Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by C library
>
> Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by C library

I used to see these with the pan newsreader. The fix was to add:

setenv LC_ALL   en_GB.ISO_8859-1
setenv LC_CTYPE en_GB.ISO_8859-1
setenv LANG     en_GB.ISO_8859-1

to ~/.cshrc.

You'll need to change en_GB, obviously (en_US??), check
/usr/share/locale/

HTH

> ###################################
>
> Below is an example of what happens when i run the perl program 'which'
> in an xterm.
>
> bsd:~/$ which
> perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
> 	LC_ALL = (unset),
> 	LC_CTYPE = "en_US",
> 	LANG = (unset)
>     are supported and installed on your system.

  If I buy a copy of WinDelete, and it doesn't delete Windows,
  am I entitled to my money back?