Date:      Mon, 25 Jun 2001 18:04:52 -0700
From:      Jordan Hubbard <jkh@osd.bsdi.com>
To:        mjacob@feral.com
Cc:        rbw@myplace.org, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Compaq's alpha unit being sold (off-topic)

From: Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 14:13:31 -0700 (PDT)

> Hmm- I can't tell whether you are saddened or thrilled by this scenario.

Saddened to be sure, but saddened in a way that someone who's watched
a someone live purely on life support equipment for years and then finally
die might be saddened.  Sad, but long-since resigned to the inevitability
of the event once it finally came.

Call me an optimist, but I think the future is actually rather bright
for new processor architectures.  While the x86 remained viable, it
set the computing industry back years and convinced a lot of people
that it just wasn't worth competing with legacy designs.  Now that
Intel has more or less tacitly admitted that it's run out of steam by
going for a substantially different design with Itanium, it
legitimizes the effort for more nimble companies.  Itanium is a good
example of a fine idea in principle but not particularly attractive in
implementation.  To my thinking, at least, that leaves the door pretty
wide open.

- Jordan